Ballantine Family Foundation
The Ballantine Family Fund is headquartered in Durango, CO, where Morley and Arthur Ballantine moved in 1952. After purchasing the weekly Durango News and the daily Durango Herald-Democrat, the couple immediately merged the two to create The Durango Herald-News and then The Durango Herald in 1960. Together, Morley and Arthur received a number of joint awards, including being honored in 1967 by the University of Colorado School of Journalism for Outstanding Journalism.
They established the Ballantine Family Fund in 1957 to award grants to any nonprofit they felt would enhance life in Southwest Colorado. Through their writing, activism, philanthropy, and dedication to the region, the Ballantines greatly advanced community issues in Southwest Colorado.